21 January 2024

Great War naval, the return

 The naval project, hinted at in my previous post, is indeed Great War naval in 1/2400.  This marks a return to one of my original historical projects, as I first dabbled with these dreadnoughts in the mid 1990's using the fine miniatures from CinC.  Another attempt in this century was made with 1/3000 ships and again with 1/1800, but nothing really stuck and many of these ships were accidentally discarded.


But, the world turns and so does my attention, and here we are back with 1/2400, this time with GHQ ships.  I am trying to guide this project along a few lines:  one, as a solo project I am going to try and not get too carried away with purchases (we'll see!); two, also along the lines of a solo project I am going to try and purchase these ships as they come on sale from GHQ or other sources; three, limiting the theatre of operations to the Baltic (and maybe the Black Sea); and lastly to not be too concerned with historical squadrons and just get a game on.


First up are some Russians:



GHQ lists them as BB-class, but in reality they are pre-dreadnoughts.  Slava and Tsessarevitch are survivors of the Russo-Japanese War, and Imperator Pavel is only slightly more recent.


A mixed bag of cruisers:




And a few German heavy units:




The shift away from purely historical encounters starts straight away with these selections.  SEYDLITZ, as far as I know, did not engage in any combat missions in the Baltic during the Great War, but I certainly will put her in harm's way.  And SEYDLITZ will not be the only one, as I intend to get the Russian Gangut-class battleships in action as well, eventually.


Next item on the list is rules.  I have some in mind already, old ones and newer ones to try out.



.

14 comments:

  1. A good project to start the year with. Do you have any rules in mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have several sets in mind, some older rules (General Quarters) that I have already and looking at some more recent works.

      Delete
  2. I am a big fan of GHQ ships. Some of the pieces on their WWII ships can be a bit fiddly to glue in place but the detail is amazing. I'll be looking forward to seeing this project come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a long time since I assembled any GHQ ships but I am looking forward to it.

      Delete
  3. Nice …I have never really tried naval conflict so interested to see how it goes 👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck with the project. the easy part is done (the purchasing!). 😁

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seydlitz and the I AG participated in the operation of August 1915 to break into the Gulf of Riga. Russian ships were sighted, but only von der Tann fired (on the Bayan). Later Moltke was torpedoed by a Russian sub. See Gary Staff's book "German Battlecruisers of World War One," pages166-167.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info and the recommendation!

      Delete