Sunday, July 05, 2015

Paint strip, part 1

Getting my Reptus force into a decent paint job, as mentioned in my previous post, requires me to start over with a new coat of primer (black this time).  So, another round of paint stripping.  Previously, I have used Dettol as a paint stripper.  It does seem to work well, but it is uncommon to find in the US.  Following the advice from my friend Chirine (his blog is here), I am trying Simple Green this time.


Here is a pic of the first set of Reptus miniatures, ready for a bath.  I had to cut the bases off of some of them, as I could not work them off without some damage to the somewhat thin ankles and soft metal of those miniatures.  Part of the renewal process for these figures is rebasing, and I am going with round bases instead of the square ones that come with the Reaper Warlord miniature packs.




And the container with some of the solution poured in.  Yes, Simple Green is green!

Now, to make sure that I do not forget about them...


.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

End of June Table

Finally cleared up the hobby table a bit, and immediately put more stuff on it!  As the pic shows:



Old and new projects there, with the Huaxtecs dominating, and those archers from the First Legion of Ever Present Glory, resplendent in blue, are on the left.  Along with those troops is the return of some Boschenberg musketeers from my Monster Blood Tattoo project and, making a table appearance after a very long absence, are some Reptus warriors.

The Huaxtecs have a fairly good coating of paint for their skin (close-ups at a later point).  Some will get tattoos, and their clothing and weapons need to be finished.  Then, there is the matter of their shields...

The Ever Present Glory archers are getting close to being finished also, with just some detail work and skin shading left to do.

The Boschenberg musketeers just need detailing also.  I am wondering if I should consolidate the posts from my usual Monster Blood Tattoo blog (link here) to this blog.

The Reptus miniatures are for an old fantasy skirmish project, and they will need to be stripped and restarted anew.  I have orcs, humans, and Reptus, while my lovely wife has elves, and I am slowly getting around to doing some actual work on them.  I feel a little more confident about my usually poor painting technique and I am willing to give it another go.  Of course another driving factor is the hobby budget, which is getting tight once again and new purchases are being directed into just one or maybe two projects.


.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Frogs & Mice?

While engaging on my usual 'Net rounds, I came across    this post at LeadAdventure     forums and I was intrigued enough to get the book:


It is a thin volume for the price, but it hits several targets for me.  One, it is an odd enough venue, perfect for games.  Second, Homeric fable?  Nice.  Third, it is illustrated by Fred Gwynne, better remembered as Herman Munster, who was a skilled illustrator, a fact that I did not know until I read about him.

Now, there is a small company that is starting a line of miniatures based on the book, Grimm Miniatures, also with a Facebook page.  

No new projects though, right!?!


.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

First steps on basing

My second (or is it the 3rd?) order from Warbases arrived a while back, but of course the pics and post are slow to be produced.


Above are the three basic sabot base sizes that I will be using for Irregular Wars.  Unit casualties are tracked by Resolve, and a typical unit will have a Resolve from 3 to 5.  Figure removal will be an easy way to track the loss of Resolve.  Although the base sizes are irregular, they do have a similar width, which was a key to my plan.




Here is an example, using some unfinished (!) Huaxtecs.  The miniatures are on 25mm round bases, and they fit into the sabots very nicely, not too snug which will allow for some of the space to be taken up by a thin coating of paint.  Mesoamerican units will range from 3 to 5 Resolve, while most Spanish Conquistador units have a Resolve of 4.

These sabot bases will work very well for regular foot troops, but I have yet to figure out how I want to represent the small handful of Conquistador cavalry units, and artillery.  Base width once again will be the issue, and might require a bit of deviation from the plan for 1 figure = 1 Resolve that is set up for the infantry.


.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Table, and Mesoamerican sources part 1

To start off, here is a pic of the table's current state:


It is a bit of a mess at the moment.  That will be corrected, maybe even this week-end!


I have been going through the various bits of printed source and gaming material that I possess with regards to the Mesoamerican project.  Some of them are listed amongst my books here.  After some digging, and one new purchase, I have some more:


This is my most recent purchase.  I have yet to dig into it, but the theme is intriguing, as it was the use of allied natives that was the key to the success of the conquistadors in their battles against the Aztecs and other peoples.


And now, for some older material:


One of the handful of issues of Wargames Illustrated that I have kept around, this has the first part of a campaign for conquistadors in the New World.


The big problem is that I do not have a copy of the issue that contains the 2nd part of the series...  Still, it will be very handy as the miniatures finally get painted.


And another:


WI 170 has this article:


More gaming goodness, and I think that at least one of my WI back issues has the old Wargames Foundry catalog pages with pics of all of their Aztec line, with most if not all of them painted.


.