07 August 2022

Greeks part 4

 After a confusing week of work, I was not able to get much done.




Here is the mostly finished base of skirmishers for the Spartan army.  You can see the extras in the background; they will make up most of the next unit in time.  Eight is the typical count in a pack of Xyston miniatures and I painted them all, not realizing that only 5 were needed.  Oops.


The base is from Warbases - the order came in, quite quickly I might add - and it is coated with the following:




A thin layer of the Vallejo texture is applied.  After it is dry, 24 hrs or so, a slightly diluted mix of Daler & Rowney Antelope Brown is brushed on.


But now, I am stuck.


The next step would be drybrushing to lighten the top, some flock and tufts added, then done.  But, I am not certain what colors to use as I do not have a suitable table topping to play on.  A good mat is the goal, so I will have to take a look around.  At least the last steps are easy enough, but I want to make sure to match the base to the mat reasonably closely, just for my OCD tendencies!



.

12 comments:

  1. What system are you basing for? You could always buy a mat to match your basing.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The base sizes are an expanded DBA set, closer to Impetus I believe.

      Delete
  2. Some work is better than none! Keep plugging away. As for your OCD mat issue, consider if “close enough is good enough.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes small steps are good enough. I am trying to make 'good enough' work for me with my gaming - too much time was spent in the past looking for perfection.

      Delete
  3. By the way, Mass’ weather blog is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - Prof. Mass is a character. He is very much in favor of data-driven decisions that might not be obvious to casual observers and will call out those groups that employ lesser methods.

      Delete
  4. Some nice work there Greg, the skirmishers look great! Every week at my work is confusing...mostly, I am confused as to why I am still working there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sometimes confusion reigns supreme!

      Delete
  5. The only way that I know of to get bases and mat to match is to make your own mat and use the same paints and flock materials as for the bases.
    But I would think that most store bought mats would match ‘good nuff’ I guess you could get the mat first and then find paint/ flock that comes close in color. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good nuff is the phrase of the day for this.

      Delete
  6. Great looking skirmishers, I operate on the close enough is good enough principal to save excess stress! Call them done for now and revisit once you have your matt?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete