20 April 2008

FOCUS!

(Bet you thought about a camera and pics, eh.........)



I have written about this before, but I really need to start to focus on just ONE project. Sometimes, it is really hard, especially with all of these companies releasing such nice minis in such fascinating genres in so many cool scales...

So, a condensing of projects is needed. 40K, for now, is moving back - actually, I have not done anything with 40K for a long time other than thinking about Orks, so it is already out of the line-up; I just need to send the Tau off to a new home, hopefully in trade for minis that match up with the main project.

Song of Blades and Heroes is going onto the back burner. It will see more effort than 40K as I can do work on it concurrently with the main project.

The naval project is returning to the back burner - it would be simple to polish this off, since I only want a handful of ships for a convention-time game, but... focus focus focus.

Warhammer - I simply have too many Empire minis to ignore, but it is dropping down to a distant second.

Which leaves just one - Tékumel.

I am becoming more and more fascinated with the genre. Unfortunately, there is a dearth of minis currently in production - despite Eureka's fine efforts - to even partially cover my wants. And there is always the question of rules.

So, it becomes a three-pronged project:

1. Rules
2. Minis
3. Painting & playing

I have some ideas for rules; I just need to obtain the ones that I do not have yet and play them.

I have some minis, but only for Tsolyani forces. Yan Kor are available from Eureka. But, I want more, so I am beginning to look at converting other minis to use for Tékumel forces.



I have also made some subtle additions to this blog, which some of you have already noticed. I am compiling a list of Tékumel web sites and they will be listed separately on the left. Who knows - I might even get so wild as to change the format of the blog itself, but that is asking a lot!


.

5 comments:

  1. I've not ever read or played anything having to do with Tekumel . . . but what I've seen of the minis on your previous posts gives me a few ideas.

    You might look at some of the historical minis for some of the "Eastern" armies (Tibet, China, Indochina) as well as some of the historical and/or fantasy versions of ancient Persian armies.

    Good luck to you . . . and I agree we (and I definitely include myself) need to maintain a focus on a primary project.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny, just this morning I realized my problem with getting traction is gaming is for the same reason - I have so many projects that none can ever get enough attention to get finished. I have Confrontation figures to pain, AT-43 figures to mend, 20mm WWII figures that need sorting in order to run my game at Nashcon in 2 weeks. I have Modern Combat rules to finish up. I have a gaming website to stand up where I can place these projects (victorypoints.com), etc. etc. etc.!

    I need to focus and form a list to help motivate me!

    I think it is key. Thanks for the post and all. I keep you in my blogroll because you have so many good posts!

    --Pete
    http://corpcommander.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a few published rulesets that are available from Tita's House of Games or sometimes on eBay, they are: Legions of the Petal Throne, Missum, and Qadardalikoi. Also, a member of the Yahoo Tekumel Minis group has put his remake of Qadardalikoi in the file section called "Warfare on Tekumel". It is a work in progress but all of the rules needed to play a tactical game are there. I use either Qadardalikoi or Warfare on Tekumel.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pete - glad to see you still stop by!

    Hi Mark - I was able to download 'Warfare on Tékumel', and one of these days I want to grab copies of the other rules you mentioned, if only as additional resources.



    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a fan of Tekumel from the beginning, I probably have at least one copy of any published product for Tekumel. I need to pick up my paint brushes and get my figures painted!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete