03 May 2008

Legion of Ever Present Glory, part 2

I have finally done something more with this first set of Tékumel minis. No, there are not done yet, but slow, small steps are being taken along the journey to completion.



Here is an eye-level view. In this view, the troops are set into 3 holders, with 9 minis each. This will most likely be changed to 12 minis per holder. My base cohort size will be 12 minis for heavy infantry units, and it just makes more sense to have the minis organized during painting also.



The set in the center is closest to completion. Not much is left to paint, just details. I am also finding that I am not very skilled in painting faces, so I'm afraid that they will remain rather plain-looking until I can get in more practice. I'll have some close-up pics later, when they are finished.


In order to have some command minis for the second cohort, I will need to raid my pack of EPG archers for their standard bearer and musician. The unit packs from Eureka have 24 minis, with only one command set of 1 standard, 1 musician, and 2 officers. My current budgetary plan has me splitting up each pack into two; with the addition of an extra standard and musician I'll have 2 complete cohorts.


.

8 comments:

  1. ...i'm no good at faces, either - and then I discovered Games Workshop's "Flesh Wash" and was saved... :o))

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are the red boxes? This looks like an interesting way of holding the figures while you're painting them.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark,

    The red boxes are containers that once held tips for micro-pipettors. I was able to scavenge them from a former employer. I put some foam in them, and they hold the nails (that I glue my minis onto) fairly well.


    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Greg,
    Thanks for the info on the boxes. What do you use to glue the figures to the nails? Also, the nails look like roofing nails, is that right?

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mark,

    Yep, plain old nails, about 2 inches long. I typically use PVA (elmers) glue on the nail - the drawback of this of course is the mini will slide a bit if one uses too much glue.


    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are some really interesting figs. I have been eye-balling them for a bit as possible purchases for use as a Lost World society for my pulp games. I just wish they had more skirmishers and character type figs.

    BTW, gimme an email Grego, I don't seem to have an email addy for you.

    ReplyDelete