14 October 2018

Sorting through

Many things have conspired to limit my painting progress over the last few months:

Work  -  The company I work for was hanging by a slim financial thread throughout spring and summer.  That seems to be past now thankfully, but not quite out of the woods yet.

Life  -  When my lovely wife passed away eighteen months ago, my step-children and I had the vast majority of her cremated remains spread in a location that is as lovely as it is remote.  Also, only a few people were on hand for the ceremony that my step-daughter led for her mother.  So, I have been planning another ceremony so my family can pay their respects and say one last good-bye later this month.

Hobbies  -  To paraphrase a more famous person - "I can come up with six new gaming projects before breakfast."  Add one-click shopping to that lack of mental focus and one can really create hobby havoc.  For instance, I decided that I should have a more portable computing device besides the desktop PC.  And that led to weeks of comparing systems and styles - Android?  Windows-based?  Chromebook?  Tablet?  Laptop?  Miniatures were no different, as I hit the Kickstarter trail and purchased some stuff that, maybe, I did not really need...


But, I am getting better.  In my archaeological expeditions into my closet, I found many things, including some projects that were started about the time that my lovely wife fell ill.  One project in particular has energized me like no other, and the keen-eyed might have noticed the beginnings of it in my previous post.  Here is a close-up:


About two years ago or so, I was able to get these samples of Eureka's new 28mm Trojan War Greeks range.  They must have arrived while I was otherwise occupied and thrown into the closet, along with some similar figures from Redoubt and Black Tree (not pictured above).  Yes, a new project, but one that is starting to re-energize my hobby batteries as the rest of my issues come to a close...


.

10 comments:

  1. A Trojan War project sounds terrific! I have been amassing my own collection of figures for a Trojan Wars project too. Some day, I may actually get to it. Until then, I will be following yours with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon! I was surprised at the amount of figures available for this era.

      Delete
  2. I am glad you are able to get back into it. I was wondering what ever happened to those Langton great lakes ships you posted on your Mini Ships Gaming blog a long time back. Did you ever build them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vol - looks like I need to post over there as well. I have not done a thing to those fine ships yet...

      Delete
  3. It’s a hard road you’re traveling. Hope that the hobby stuff can bring you some joy. Very best wishes, Aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you back here. I hope the ceremony goes well and am pleased that work is going better. I have made a conscious effort to buy less lead and books. I really identify with the comments you make re kickstarter stuff and new projects all the time. I am trying to be more disciplined re hobby spends and time yet flexible enough to allow myself to be caught up in new ideas. I really like the sound of the Trojan Project and it sounds most exciting. Any idea yet about rules?
    Keep going and share your progress.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alan. It might be counter-intuitive for the era, but I am looking at element-based rules instead of singly-mounted miniatures. Lots of rules to try out there!

      Delete
  5. I just found you, and right when I'm about to relaunch my own Trojan War project!
    http://displacedminiatures.com/LeadAsbestos2010/gallery/3152/

    Maybe we can inspire each other? My favorite period to play and paint and bore my friends and family with... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings, and thanks for the follow, Chris, although I know you better as LeadAsbestos especially on LAF. Your figures are already inspiring me for this project; I had already bookmarked your Displaced website!

      Delete