23 July 2022

Painting table July 2022, and more

 Hmmm, 3½ months between posts... the interval is dropping so that is good, right?!


Let's start with an old tradition around here, the painting table pic:



The table is filled with the usual medley of stuff.  By my count, there are seven different projects in the picture!  The biggest change from my typical work process is that there is much more organization in everything, from paints to the figures themselves.  I just need to sit there more often and get stuff done.


The 2nd Mantinea Battle Day project has taken a large step forward after languishing for too many months.  I have finally settled on a rules system for all of my Greek/Persian struggles, and that is going to be Triumph.  After reading through several sets, I find that Triumph makes more sense to me than other rules.  Triumph does use the 'standard' DBx basing system for the most part, so I can easily switch to other rules in the future if needed.  I am making one adjustment - the base sizes are going to be much bigger, using a frontage of 80mm.  This will give a figure density that, to me at least, is more pleasing to the eye.


The army lists for the Thebans and the Spartans have been sorted as well.  I used the description of 2nd Mantinea from Lost Battles as a baseline, and worked to adjust the army lists from Triumph (found online here at Meshwesh).  After a bit of translation - Triumph is a bit different in its descriptions of units - two lists were made that seem to be consistent with the battle.  The Thebans come out with a slightly larger force, which is suggested by contemporary writers, Xenophon and Diodorus, and modern historians.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that the basic lists from Triumph fit quite well with Prof. Sabin's analysis from Lost Battles.



Now comes the mustering of the units, with the PSC figures pictured above being amongst the first to answer the call.



.

12 comments:

  1. A fair bit of painting to do there, El Grego! I ordered some PSC myself recently (it might have been on your recommendation, actually). Look forward to following your brushwork.

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Aaron. I think that I can say that I have bitten off more than I can chew! Still going to try though.

    I think that you will like the PSC figures. They are not perfect, but very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What???

    Good to see you active again, Greg. I will watch as your Mantinea battle force forms up and takes to the field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I *wish* my painting setup looked so slick. I also wish that there were plastics 15mm ancients when I bought my army(ies). Large elements of figs do look pretty awesome. We use field of glory around here and a bunch of small bases are kinda fiddly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It has been a long time - years - in the making but will the new set-up improve my work flow? We will see!

      I am not certain how FoG works but could you use some magnetic magic to group the small bases into one?

      Delete
    2. One could. I feel like there is a fair amount of changes in frontages....but that might be my memory playing tricks on me. Certainly there is single base removal.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoy seeing pics of peoples painting areas. You got a nice set up. 😀
    Have you played some Triumph? It’s a game that have been meaning to get on the table for my dark ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I have not played Triumph yet. Might be a good idea to do so soon, though...

      Delete
  6. Looks like a nice batch of figures by PSC and looking forward to seeing your progress on the painting front!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, nice workbench Greg. That's a considerable number of Greeks to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vol! Yes, many, many Greeks...

      Delete