11 September 2023

The State of my Hobby, part 1

 (WARNING - A long wall of text follows...)


This is a bit of a sandwich filler post, as an attempt to get back into blogging again, and to keep a more concise (and therefore useful) train of thought towards my projects instead of just talking to the walls.


First off, a salute to those hobbyists that can either stick with a certain period over the years, or have the ability to process projects into a state of tabletop readiness quickly.  I find that has been lacking here for quite a long time, but I am getting there, mostly by cutting out stalled projects and finally finding a method of painting that works for me.


Without further ado, and no particular order:


BATTLETECH  -  Currently the #1 focus of my gaming endeavors.  First coming into print (under the name Battledroids) 39 years ago, the gaming group that I was in picked it up quickly and played many games, both for the group and at local shows, from 1985 to 1989, after which it went completely silent for us, with the group largely splitting up and real life pressures taking precedence.  But, two years ago it came back to my attention, with a successful kickstarter and some not so subtle hints from my sons that I should take a look once again.  I foresee that we will be playing BT for a long time!


GAMES WORKSHOP  -  Another games producer that my sons have dragged me back into (and I do not mind so much!), I am slowly building out both 40K (Orks) and Fantasy (Goblins) armies.  Another project that reaches back to the Eighties, this time I hope that much more gaming will occur.  I am not taking a power-gamer stance with either set (or any game really), and just collect what I find interesting despite its performance on the tabletop.  If I win, it will be all the sweeter!


MICRO-ARMOUR  -  Yet another blast from the past, but this time around with more focus (maybe).  WW2 and Modern gaming in 1/285 scale was a staple with the old group, and I seek to rekindle that.  This project, however, is entirely my own.  I am quite certain that my sons will play, but I have no illusions that they will collect any forces.  Right now, the plan is for 'Cold War' gaming with an eye to keep the collection of a modest size.  I have most of the miniatures that I want, largely from GHQ, and just need to get more progress on other projects before setting off on this journey in earnest.


INFINITY  -  Yet another sci-fi game that my sons have convinced me to start.  These are perhaps the best 28mm figures around, the newest metal miniatures at least.  My youngest is trying to get us to spend more time on this, as the rules are quite daunting though clearly laid out.  Again, I have most of the figures that I could ever need for this skirmish game, just needs more brush attention, and terrain.



Currently, the Big Four in my hobby circle are:  Battletech; Warhammer 40K; Warhammer Age of Sigmar; and Infinity.  These are systems that I could plan a game at the drop of a hat, and I can not foresee not having a unit of each of these projects on the go on my painting desk for the near future.  There are, of course, other projects lurking on the fringes, but that is the subject of another post.



.

10 comments:

  1. Greg, what became of your historical projects? Topics for anothe post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct - I need ammunition for at least one more post!

      Delete
  2. Having a painting method that achieves decent and quick results is important as you say, but I also find the quality of the figures helps me in terms of completing projects and you have certainly gone top shelf with the above. I'll look forward to reading more about your historical projects Greg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I find that I am still hesitant about painting skin especially faces but practice makes perfect.

      Delete
  3. That wasn’t so long a wall of text.
    I’ll take your salute; as I am one of those guys who can focus on one project at a time for months. It’s the only way I can get anything done. But not everyone can work that way and as it’s a hobby we should do what comes natural. 😀
    40k with the children sounds like it can be a lot of fun.
    Good luck getting some stuff painted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well laid out. The games with sons should keep you buoyant in between micro armor massing. I see more micro games this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Have to admit that the Cold War project is farther out than winter-time, maybe next spring.

      Delete
  5. Sounds good that there are external impetus to keep you on track! They all sound fun, 40k was a long time ago for me and looking at a Nurgle army at the club I realised the massive difference from my Rogue Trader/2nd edition all metal Nurgle army! I find breaking the painting down into six similar figures on a stick , so that you can repeat the strokes really speeds things up, looking forward to the historical entry!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Collaborating with my sons on games is a lot of fun.

      Delete