30 October 2023

Greeks, part 5

 Finally, a little bit of progress with my classical Greeks:





One stand of 15mm Spartan cavalry from Xyston.  These are on a super-size base - 80mm x 60mm - and are rated as 'Bad Horse' for TriumphTriumph has a few extra unit types compared to DBA; this would be Light Cavalry for DBA.  The base is not finished as I have yet to get an appropriate mat for the game, and I want to get some units painted before then.


Next element is some hoplites:



Fourteen hoplites for a Heavy Foot unit in Triumph, on a 80mm x 30mm base.  This element has a pair of the new thermoplastic figures from Plastic Soldier Company along with a dozen metal Xyston originals.


Slowly, but surely!



.

21 comments:

  1. Nice work! I would not have guessed that these horsemen were 15mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Xyston figures paint up really well.

      Delete
  2. Some very nice painting Greg - initially, I thought these were 28mm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking Spartans, Greg. I also thought they were 28mm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Xyston are my favourite ancient figures and you have done a terrific job on them Greg. The supersize base is a great idea which might help stop the javelins from pinging off as seems to happen quite frequently with mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do hope the larger base will help with protecting the figures.

      Delete
  5. Great looking painting, I'm also in the
    " thinking they were 28mm, they're that good club!" You've got such a nice clean style I do worry that they take as long as 28mm figures! Looking forward to the hopolites, everybody loves hopolites!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do worry about the amount of time spent on this, but it should be much shorter than 28mms as washes are doing a lot of work on these figures, along with good sculpts.

      Delete
  6. Nice work on the Spartan cavalry. I have a few on the painting table just now; basing for ADLG so smaller base and less figures per stand.

    Xyston are an excellent choice for this period. Their figures have a lot of character, that's needed in hoplite armies.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I really like the Xyston figures.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful work! I have a few of those to paint up myself. Will come back to these for some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work on the Spartans! And I love that you use the round electrical tape boxes like I do for unpainted mini project storage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I like to use them to keep each unit organized before I can paint them.

      Delete
    2. Exactly! I had all of our electrician and intrument techs saving them for me for years.

      Delete